AFFILIATIONS, THE CLUB, THE OFFICERS, THE HISTORY
Castleview LTC is affiliated with Tennis Ireland
Tennis Ireland promotes, regulates and administers the sport as the National Governing Body on an all-island basis.
This area of work includes, but is not limited to the following areas: Club Development, Coaches Education, Child Protection, National Players Database, National Tennis Centre, National Tennis Academy, Rules, and Tournament Software.
Tennis Ireland Munster representative is Lucy Penkova, Email:Lucy.rdo@TennisIreland.ie Mob: (087) 6882286.
Tennis Ireland – Director of Development – Roger Geraghty – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mob: (086) 2316478.
All tournament’s (internal and external) can be found at the following address: http://ti.tournamentsoftware.com.
Management of Castleview Lawn Tennis Club
All the committee members give up a great deal of their time on a voluntary basis ensuring the club keeps running and remains an attractive club to belong to whether for social or competitive tennis. In addition to the committee, another small army of volunteers help in various areas, and if they did not, the club would have to spend much needed funds on paying for these services! The coaches are the only non-volunteers as they receive payment for their activity however they play an integral part in promoting tennis and the tennis club with the ultimate goal of boosting membership.
|HONORARY VICE-PRESIDENT||Dr Paul O’Brien|
|HONORARY SECRETARY||Mary Kelly|
|HONORARY VICE-PRESIDENT||Noel Kelly|
|HONORARY VICE-PRESIDENT||Noel Treacy|
|HONORARY LIFE MEMBER||Tommy Walsh|
|HONORARY VICE PRESIDENT||Michael Lonergan|
A BRIEF HISTORY OF CASTLEVIEW LAWN TENNIS FOUNDED IN 1945-2019
The original grounds at Castleview back in the 1800s was occupied then by the British Army and used as a training ground for Military purposes. The Army Barracks was situated in the current Car Park at the entrance and the ground behind which is now the Club was used for Bowling, Cricket and Croquet and mainly used by the British Army personnel and their friends. In 1893, Tennis was played on the grounds and Cricket was moved to a different location, Cricket was the game of choice through out Ireland way back then. When Ireland was granted its Independence in 1922 all land was available to be purchased and Joe Drohan Castle Street bought the land where the Club is now. In the early 1920s the Army barracks closed and a group of Professional and Business people in the Town took over the control of the Grounds which was situated in the shadow of the Ormonde Castle the only Tudor Manor in Ireland. The Club was known then as the Carrick Tennis Club and the first elected Secretary at the time was Thomas Bunker and Treasurer Richard Dooleyo. This was a very Elite Members Club back then and the entrance to the Club was from Alyward’s Lane in New Street, there were 3 grass courts available for play and every Wednesday during the summer months Afternoon Tea was served to the players. At the outbreak of Second World War in 1939 the Club closed and lapsed during the war Years. To learn more, click here!